The Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Matthew Kukah, on Monday said that the Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi II is fighting to keep the throne because of his unpopular opinions.
He said this on Monday at a panel session held as part of the activities for the 25th Nigerian Economic Summit.
The Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, had created four new emirates in a bid to reduce Sanusi’s influence.
Kukah said, “The emir is here, he is still fighting for his life because of the position that he has taken and all of you sitting here know that it has literally become a matter to a particular course because the things he is saying are not popular.”
He called for more investments in education.
He said, “The money that comes from the centre to our states, who is it meant for?
“When you say education is on the concurrent list, I worry that many of our states are providing opportunities for incubators of hatred to grow.
“If you take northern Nigeria where there is no single Christian or woman in the state assembly, women are lucky if they become commissioners for women’s affairs.”
Kukah said he understood the importance of education, adding that this was why he had so far established five secondary schools.
He said 60 per cent of the students in his schools are Muslims.
The cleric added, “I have five secondary schools and I have to rely on the little collection that I receive in my church to send children to school and in many of the schools, 60 per cent of the children are Muslims.”
Royal Split: Prince Harry expresses great sadness
Britain’s Prince Harry expressed “great sadness” on Sunday at the way he and his wife Meghan had to give up their royal titles as part of separation settlement with the Queen.
“It brings me great sadness that it has come to this,” Harry said in his first remarks on Saturday’s historic agreement, made during a public address and posted on the couple’s Instagram account.
“Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible,” he told supporters of his Africa-based charity for youngsters with HIV at an event in London.
The settlement stripped Harry and Meghan of public funding and required them to repay £2.4 million ($3.1 million) of taxpayer’s money spent on renovating their Frogmore Cottage home near Windsor Castle.
Harry was also forced to give up the military titles and patronages he was awarded after serving two tours in Afghanistan with the British Army.
But Harry said he felt “utmost respect” for Queen Elizabeth II.
“It has been our privilege to serve you, and we will continue to lead a life of service.”
“I will always have the utmost respect for my grandmother, my commander in chief, and I am incredibly grateful to her and the rest of my family, for the support they have shown Meghan and me over the last few months.”
He also hinted at some trepidation at starting a new life away from his royal home. He and Meghan will spend some time in Canada before deciding whether to move to the United States or another country.
“We are taking a leap of faith — thank you for giving me the courage to take this next step,” he said.
President Buhari reveals why he joined Politics
President Buhari finally reveals why he joined politics after his release from prison President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed why he joined partisan politics after he was released from prison over thirty years ago. He said he joined politics because of his integrity.
Will Smith and Martins Lawrence named Honorary police officers by Miami City Police Force
Hollywood actors, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, ahead of the release of the new ‘Bad Boys for Life’ movie, were on Sunday honored by the Miami City Police Force for their outstanding contribution to the growth of the entertainment industry in Miami.
Smith has lived and worked in Miami for almost half a century, and the Bad Boys movie Franchise has always been shot in Miami, hence the Miami city police force thought it wise to celebrate and honor Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, and handed them ‘keys to the city’ plaque and Miami police force badges while also granting them honorary police officer titles, roles they both played in the Bad Boys film.
Smith took to Instagram to celebrate the achievement .
“Been rockin’ with Miami for over 25 years and today me and @martinlawrence got the keys to the city and were officially made honorary Miami Police officers!! Big thanx @francisxsuarez and @pitbull (happy BDay) for setting us up! #badboysforlife,” the 51-year-old actor shared on Instagram alongside a series of photos and videos of the two men receiving their keys.
In one of the videos, the official who presented Smith, 51, and Lawrence, 54, with the honor also announced that Jan. 12 would be celebrated as the “Bad Boys for Life” day in the city of Miami, which was met by cheers from the crowd.