China denounces US decision to restrict visas for officials linked to Muslim repression. – BelloNaija
Connect with us

News

China denounces US decision to restrict visas for officials linked to Muslim repression.

Published

on

Beijing on Wednesday decried a US decision to restrict visas for Chinese officials linked to the repression of Xinjiang Muslims, and called on Washington to withdraw the measure.

The United States has stepped up its criticism of China’s treatment of Uighurs and other mostly Muslim minorities in the western region, where rights group say more than one million are held in internment camps.

Washington earlier this week announced the blacklisting of 28 Chinese entities involved in rights violations in Xinjiang, which China has said was based on “groundless” claims.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the visa curbs on Tuesday, urging China to cease its “campaign of repression” in the region and release those interned.

China had until recently denied the camps existed, but later described them as “vocational education centres” where people learn Mandarin and job skills as necessary counter-terrorism measures.

The US is “disregarding the facts, slandering and smearing China on Xinjiang-related issues,” foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said at a regular press conference Wednesday, where he said the US actions were guided by “sinister intentions”.

Geng also took issue with the European Parliament for nominating Ilham Tohti — a Uighur scholar serving a life sentence on separatism charges for advocating the rights of Uighurs — to a shortlist for the Sakharov Prize for human rights.

“Under the pretence of human rights, this institution is whitewashing such a separatist supporting violent and terrorist acts,” Geng said.

Last month the Council of Europe awarded its Vaclav Havel Human Rights Prize to Tohti for “giving the entire Uighur people a voice”, drawing bitter criticism from the Chinese authorities, who said that even nominating him was effectively “supporting terrorism”.

– ‘Completely futile’ –

In 2017, Xinjiang authorities passed sweeping “anti-extremism” regulations that banned a wide range of behaviours and customs — formalising a regional crackdown on certain Muslim practices.

Growing “abnormal” facial hair was included in the government’s list, as well as wearing robes that cover the whole body and face.

An AFP investigation in June found that at least 30 mosques and religious sites have been destroyed in Xinjiang since 2017.

And in just two years, dozens of cemeteries have been destroyed in the northwest region, according to a new AFP investigation with satellite imagery analysts Earthrise Alliance.

Pompeo in his statement also criticised “pervasive, high-tech surveillance” as part of “highly repressive” Chinese policy in the region.

Xinjiang authorities have rolled out a sweeping surveillance system in the region.

A mobile app called the Integrated Joint Operations Platform collects information from multiple sources, including facial-recognition cameras, wifi sniffers, and home visits in the region, according to Human Rights Watch.

The entities sanctioned by the United States include video surveillance company Hikvision and artificial intelligence firms Megvii Technology and SenseTime.

The blacklist also includes 18 public security bureaus in Xinjiang, a police college and eight businesses.

Geng called the US moves “completely futile” and warned China would take “firm” action against violations of its sovereignty.

He also said China’s commerce ministry would “soon” release its own entity list, which has been in the works for months.

China’s policies are “widely supported by the 25 million people of all ethnic groups in Xinjiang”, Geng said.

The heightened US pressure on China’s policies in Xinjiang comes at a tense time for the two countries, which have been locked in a trade war for more than a year.

Trade talks are set to resume on Thursday, with Beijing’s top trade envoy Liu He due to meet US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

Asked whether the visa restrictions could impact the talks, Geng said: “We hope that the US can work together with China, meet halfway with us, and push forward consultations in order to make progress, on the basis of mutual respect, equality and mutual benefit.”

News

Royal Split: Prince Harry expresses great sadness

Published

on

By

Britain’s Prince Harry expressed “great sadness” on Sunday at the way he and his wife Meghan had to give up their royal titles as part of separation settlement with the Queen.

“It brings me great sadness that it has come to this,” Harry said in his first remarks on Saturday’s historic agreement, made during a public address and posted on the couple’s Instagram account.

“Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible,” he told supporters of his Africa-based charity for youngsters with HIV at an event in London.

The settlement stripped Harry and Meghan of public funding and required them to repay £2.4 million ($3.1 million) of taxpayer’s money spent on renovating their Frogmore Cottage home near Windsor Castle.

Harry was also forced to give up the military titles and patronages he was awarded after serving two tours in Afghanistan with the British Army.

But Harry said he felt “utmost respect” for Queen Elizabeth II.

“It has been our privilege to serve you, and we will continue to lead a life of service.”

“I will always have the utmost respect for my grandmother, my commander in chief, and I am incredibly grateful to her and the rest of my family, for the support they have shown Meghan and me over the last few months.”

He also hinted at some trepidation at starting a new life away from his royal home. He and Meghan will spend some time in Canada before deciding whether to move to the United States or another country.

“We are taking a leap of faith — thank you for giving me the courage to take this next step,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

President Buhari reveals why he joined Politics

Published

on

President Buhari finally reveals why he joined politics after his release from prison President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed why he joined partisan politics after he was released from prison over thirty years ago. He said he joined politics because of his integrity.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Will Smith and Martins Lawrence named Honorary police officers by Miami City Police Force

Published

on

Hollywood actors, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, ahead of the release of the new ‘Bad Boys for Life’ movie, were on Sunday honored by the Miami City Police Force for their outstanding contribution to the growth of the entertainment industry in Miami.

Smith has lived and worked in Miami for almost half a century, and the Bad Boys movie Franchise has always been shot in Miami, hence the Miami city police force thought it wise to celebrate and honor Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, and handed them ‘keys to the city’ plaque and Miami police force badges while also granting them honorary police officer titles, roles they both played in the Bad Boys film.

Smith took to Instagram to celebrate the achievement . 
He posted;

“Been rockin’ with Miami for over 25 years and today me and @martinlawrence got the keys to the city and were officially made honorary Miami Police officers!! Big thanx @francisxsuarez and @pitbull (happy BDay) for setting us up! #badboysforlife,” the 51-year-old actor shared on Instagram alongside a series of photos and videos of the two men receiving their keys.

In one of the videos, the official who presented Smith, 51, and Lawrence, 54, with the honor also announced that Jan. 12 would be celebrated as the “Bad Boys for Life” day in the city of Miami, which was met by cheers from the crowd.

Continue Reading

Connect

Get Content Tailored To You

Tonto Dikeh steps out to encourage Nigerians saying; “Stop talking about your past, start walking into the future.”

Advertisement

Facebook

Trending