Connect with us

News

Kuje community protests against kidnapping and barricaded council secretariat.

Published

on

Some residents of Pegi community in Kuje Area Council of Federal Capital Territory on Wednesday staged a peaceful protest following recent abductions and attacks in the area.

The protesters barricaded the entrance to Kuje Area Council Secretariat, holding placards with inscriptions such as “Kidnappers on rampage in Kuje”, and “Give us security in Pegi community.”

The protesters alleged that the Kuje Council and FCT Administration had failed to complete the road project linking Kuje town to the community, and have distorted the original master plan of the community.

Mr Aderibigbe Taiwo, the Leader of the aggrieved persons, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the protest was aimed at drawing the attention of authorities to the insecurity, negligence and hardship experienced by the residents.

“The master plan of Pegi Resettlement site that was originally mapped out in 2005 by the former Minister of the FCT, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, had been altered.

“This community has suffered hardship as a result of infrastructural deficit and security challenges,” he said.

Taiwo said that the activities of armed robbers and motorcycle-snatchers have become rampant.

“They always take advantage of the bad road linking the community to attack innocent residents, especially civil servants while (they are) returning from work.

“Some gunmen dressed in military camouflage, on Monday night, fired shots at vehicles and over four people were kidnapped and some residents were seriously injured.

“About four persons, including a 10-year-old boy, were among the victims that were kidnapped on Monday in the community.

“The attackers could not be less than 20, as they fired indiscriminately. Bullets deflated tyres and created deep holes on vehicles.”

He said the Monday attack was the second time that kidnapping was recorded in the community recently.

“More than six persons were kidnapped in 2018 at the same location. We are pleading with relevant authorities to come to our rescue.

“We, the residents of Pegi community have been neglected and several distortions have been made to the original master plan of our community, we call on the government to also intervene.

“We are also calling on the Kuje Area Council and FCT Minister to come and address the rising spate of insecurity in our community,” Taiwo urged.

Addressing the residents, the Chairman of Kuje Area Council, Mr Abdullahi Sabo, assured them of improved security and peace in the area.

He said the area council in synergy with security operatives were on a search-and-rescue mission to ensure that the victims were rescued.

The chairman also assured that the council would ensure that dilapidated roads in the area were fixed and a police outstation established in the area.

On his part, Mr Harrison Oruruo, the Divisional Police Officer appealed to the protesters to open the council secretariat gate to prevent miscreants from hijacking the protests.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Buhari says if the government get infrastructure right, Nigerians will not care about governance.

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday said that if the Federal Government was able to put in place the right infrastructure in different sectors of the economy, Nigerians would not be so concerned about “who’s in government.”

Buhari, who said this via his verified Twitter handle, added that his government was doing its best to provide infrastructure within the available resources

He said that he believes that with the right infrastructure, Nigeria would prosper.

The president tweeted, “I firmly believe that if we get infrastructure right in Nigeria, our roads, rail, ports; Nigerians will mind their businesses, many people will not even care who is in government. A country like ours, full of entrepreneurial energy and potential, will prosper.

“This is why Infrastructure will continue to be one of our primary focus areas. We must & will rewrite the story, for this dear country of ours. I wish we had even more resources, and we are working on this, but we are doing our best within the resources currently available to us.”

Continue Reading

News

Russia eyes Africa business -Oil, diamonds, nuclear power.

Published

on

While Russia has traditionally focused on arms and grain exports to Africa, it is now looking to broaden its activities and influence.

Here are four sectors likely to be discussed at the Russia-Africa Summit set for next Wednesday and Thursday in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.—

– Oil and gas –
Russia is one of the world’s top hydrocarbon producers and exporters through energy giants like Gazprom, Rosneft and Lukoil.

But with 65 per cent of its territory covered with permafrost, exploration and extraction are costly, so Russia is eyeing up promising reserves in Africa.

Gazprom is working in Algeria, where it has discovered three gas fields, as well as in Libya, though its activities there have largely stalled since the war in 2011. The group is also interested in taking part in a project to build a gas pipeline linking Nigeria to Europe via Algeria.READ ALSO: Banditry: ‘How military, NSCDC officers were nabbed’

Lukoil recently discovered a number of oil and gas deposits in Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon and Egypt.

For its part, Rosneft is investing in Egypt’s huge Zohr offshore gas field and is set to be involved in some 20 projects with Nigeria’s Oranto Petroleum energy group.

– Nuclear –
Africa is almost entirely lacking in atomic energy, with just one nuclear power station on the whole continent, in South Africa.

Russian-built nuclear power stations have a price advantage over Western competitors and its nuclear agency Rosatom offers, attractive financing deals to customer countries.

It has already signed preliminary agreements on nuclear projects with Egypt, Nigeria, Sudan, Kenya, Ghana, Zambia and Uganda.

So far only Egypt has signed an agreement to build a station, one with four reactors at Dabaa on the Mediterranean coast by 2028 or 2029.

The cost of $10 million (nine million euros) to $20 million per plant could be prohibitive, but Rosatom says countries including Rwanda are showing “great interest” in smaller-capacity, less expensive nuclear power stations.

– Diamonds –
Rich in mineral resources, Russia has significant expertise in extraction that could be deployed in other countries.

The world’s top diamond producer, Russia’s Alrosa, founded the Catoca mine in Angola in 2003. The Russians even built a hydroelectric power station to provide electricity for its operations. Since 2014 Alrosa has also been searching for new deposits in the country.

Alrosa this year announced it will also start mining activities in Zimbabwe.

Aluminium giant Rusal, formerly a target of US sanctions, is meanwhile mining bauxite in Guinea and has decided to reopen an aluminium refinery there closed since 2012.

Groups such as Norilsk Nickel, Severstal, Nordgold and Ferrum Mining are present in Madagascar, Guinea, South Africa and Burkina Faso.

– Education –
A massive slump in Russia’s birthrate after the breakup of the Soviet Union has decimated the number of young people looking to study or join the workforce.

As it looks to fill empty seats in universities, Africa could provide a steady stream of students.

Charles Robertson, the chief economist at Renaissance Capital, estimates that the number of Russian students has fallen by 40 per cent in the last decade.

“There are no young Russian people any more, so how do you fill up those universities? You bring in African students.”

This will also bring Russia “a very subtle long-term benefit” in business dealings with Africa, he said.

“People are more willing to do trade deals with a country that they know, that they’ve been to.”

Although the number of African students at Russian universities, at around 5,000, remains much lower than during the Soviet era, it has doubled in the last 10 years and is expected to grow.

Continue Reading

News

JAMB tells UTME candidates to report fraudulent workers.

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board on Thursday asked the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination candidates to provide the details of any of its workers, who is involved in financial transactions with them.

The board said all fees should be paid by candidates into the board’s Treasury Single Account, while also insisting that candidates must register for the National Identification Number as a prerequisite to take the 2020 examination.

The board stated this on its Twitter handle on Thursday, adding that candidates should visit the nearest NIMC office to have their data captured.

JAMB said, “All payments on JAMB services are made directly to the board’s TSA. Please be informed that the board frowns on any form of financial dealings between candidates and workers.

“Therefore, candidates involved in any financial transaction with a staff of the board should notify the board immediately and also provide any useful information about such staff for necessary action.

“All candidates wishing to take the 2020 UTME must have the National Identification Number. Prospective candidates are urged to visit the nearest NIMC office for their capturing. The board would only register candidates with NIN.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019