The Court of Appeal has sacked Senator Adeyeye. – BelloNaija
Connect with us

Politics

The Court of Appeal has sacked Senator Adeyeye.

Published

on

An All Progressives Congress (APC) lawmaker representing Ekiti South Senatorial District in the red chamber, Prince Dayo Adeyeye has been sacked by a Court of Appeal which sat in Kaduna on Wednesday November 6.

PDP’s senatorial candidate, Senator Biodun Olujimi had previously been declared winner of the election by the National Assembly Election tribunal which nullified election in some units.

Justice Uzor Anyanwu upheld the judgment of the tribunal and ordered INEC to issue fresh certificate of return to Senator Biodun Olujimi.

Reacting to her victory, Senator Olujimi tweeted “Congratulations to my steadfast constituents of Ekiti South Senatorial District and all Ekiti people indeed.

“It is a Victory For Democracy and the Freedom of Choice.

“May God only be Praised, to Him alone be all the glory. “

News

National Assembly is being encouraged by FG to allow diaspora voting and e-voting

Published

on

The Federal Government has urged the National Assembly to pass a bill that will allow Nigerians in the diaspora to participate in local elections from any country they are in.

The Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, made the plea in Abuja on Tuesday when she appeared before the House of Representatives’ Committee on Diaspora Affairs to defend the commission’s 2020 budget proposal.

The NIDCOM boss said, “Diaspora voting is in your hands and I think it will be a legacy that you can leave. It does not have to be in 2023 but put a timeframe to when they can vote. It is something we owe Nigerians in the diaspora.

“We are also hoping that you are going to amend the law to make electronic voting possible, at that point in time, diaspora voting, you can make it a reality.”

Continue Reading

News

N290m saved by INEC for fusing Kogi elections.

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral commission (INEC) said it would be saving over N290 million for combining the Kogi West Senatorial District and the governorship election on Nov. 16.

The INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, disclosed this at the commission’s quarterly consultative meeting with political parties in Abuja, on Tuesday.

Yakubu said that the senatorial election would now coat less than N10 million instead of the N300 million if conducted as a standalone election.

“In the case of Kogi West, it is a whole senatorial district that the Election Petitions Tribunal and the Court of Appeal had nullified the election conducted on Feb. 23 and ordered INEC to conduct a re-run.

“By coincidence, the judgment of the Appeal Court came very close to the governorship election. So the commission decided to combine the election with that of Kogi West Senatorial district.

“As a standalone election, the senatorial district election in seven local government areas of the state would have cost the nation over N300 million.

“ We have to get ad hoc staff, make arrangements for transportation, accreditation of observers and also the cost on the part of the political parties and others.

“But because we are combining the election with that of the governorship, it is going to cost the nation less than N10 million, instead of over N300 million.

“So, the commission decided to combine the two elections in order to save cost and for convenience,’’ he said.

The INEC chairman also disclosed that the Brass I state constituency election, holding in six polling units in Bayelsa, would also be conducted on the same day with the governorship election.

According to him, INEC has already made arrangements for the elections.

Yakubu appealed to political parties to advise their candidates and supporters to shun hate speech, inciting statements, physical attacks on opponents, destruction of electoral materials and other violations of the Electoral Act.

Continue Reading

News

Niger Delta Ministry’s N23bn budget rejected by Senate,.

Published

on

The Senate Committee on Niger Delta, on Monday, rejected the 2020 capital budget of N23 billion for the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs due to uncompleted projects in the region.

Chairman of the Committee, Sen. Peter Nwaoboshi made this known when the Minister, Godswill Akpabio appeared before the committee to defend the ministry’s budget of N25, 910,486,285.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the ministry is to reappear before the Committee on Monday, Oct. 28.

Nwaboshi said that with the oversight function carried out in the ministry, it was realised that the bane of the ministry was abandoned projects littered all over the nine Niger Delta states.

“There is no state, I dare to say that there is no local government where there is no abandoned projects in the Niger Delta.

“We cannot continue like that. With all the abandoned projects in the Niger Delta and we are talking about new projects; these new projects are designed to fail,” he said.

“Honourable minister, we need to look at this budget again and we expect you to do your cleanup because the document we needed were not supplied to us.”

Senator Sandy Ojang (PDP-Cross River) said, “We just looked at the presentation and we are faced again with the vanity of having a budget and almost through the budget year, there are no capital release.

“It calls for concern and deep worry. A budget situation where the capital outlay is even lower than personnel and other costs is a problem.”

Continue Reading

Trending