Man sues Buhari’s daughter; Hanan, DSS, demands N500m – BelloNaija
Connect with us

Entertainment

Man sues Buhari’s daughter; Hanan, DSS, demands N500m

Published

on

A trader, Anthony Okolie, who was arrested by the Department of State Services and detained for 10 weeks, has sued the DSS for N500m.

Okolie, in a suit filed before the Federal High Court in Asaba, Delta State, by his lawyer, Tope Akinyode, also demanded N500m from Hanan Buhari, the daughter of the President, Major General Muhammadu (retd.), as well as a telecommunications company, MTN.

The suit, with number FHC/ASB/CS/3/2020, is seeking an order to “compel the respondents (DSS, Hanan and MTN) jointly or severally to pay the applicant the sum of N500,000,000 only as general and aggravated damages for the gross and unlawful violation of the applicant’s right to acquire moveable properties, freedom of movement and self dignity.”

The 33-year-old man said in a supporting affidavit that he was arrested on July 19, 2019, in Asaba, Delta State, for using a telephone line that was previously owned by Hanan.

According to him, he remained in custody, bound by handcuffs, till September 22, 2019, as the DSS waited for Hanan, who was schooling in the United Kingdom, to come and clear him but she never did.

Okolie also attached the receipt he was issued after purchasing the SIM card as well as the SIM certificate.

The affidavit read in part, “That on December 8, 2018, at Ogbeogonogo Market, Nebu Road, Asaba, Delta State, I purchased a SIM card with Phone Number, 09035666662, for the sum of N1,000 only and I received a SIM pack with accompanying documents as a result as evidence of purchase receipt.

“That in line with relevant regulations, I approached a kit operator of the 3rd respondent (MTN) named Jeff, who captured my biometric and registered the SIM card in my name and on my behalf.

“That in July, 2019, I visited my business associate at his residence in Asaba and saw him being taken away by officers of the 1st respondent (DSS). During the process, they obtained information from him on who he communicated with last over the phone and my associated announced that it was me.

“That immediately afterwards, officers of the 1st respondent (DSS) arrested me and led me to their vehicle, asking me to keep quiet and drove me to their offices in Asaba, Delta, State.

“That after a while, they disclosed that my arrest was ordered by the Presidency and I had to be taken to Abuja for further interrogation on which basis they drove me to Abuja by road the following day.”

The applicant stated that he explained to the DSS how he bought the SIM card but he was informed that the phone line, which was linked to his SIM card, was once used by Hanan.

“They thereafter labelled me a criminal for using a phone line that previously belonged to the 2nd respondent,” he said.

Okolie alleged that because of the personality involved, his case file was tagged, ‘First Family’ and he was denied access to his lawyers.

The trader claimed that his mother, who was not allowed to see him, developed high blood pressure while he lost a N5m business deal.

He added, “They also disclosed to me that the President wants to see me and my case was boldly earmarked, First Family. Based on the foregoing, officers of the 1st respondent (DSS) maintained that the 2nd respondent (Hanan) must be available to clarify her allegations against me before I was allowed freedom from their facilities.

“That the 2nd respondent (Hanan) was contacted several times by officers of the 1st respondent (DSS) but the 2nd respondent (Hanan) declined making herself available by claiming that she was busy with studies in the United Kingdom.”

Okolie asked the court to declare that his long detention was an abuse of his fundamental human rights.

He asked the court to declare that the actions of the DSS contravened sections 35 and 34 of the 1999 Constitution.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Chrissy Teigan wants to visit Nigeria to find ‘Micheal’

Published

on

By

Popular American singer, John Legend has joined the league of foreign artists to visit Nigeria and his wife, Chrissy Teigen wants to join the league.

Legend who visited Nigeria in the past few months had his wife spill the tea as she expressed her desire to visit, but for a funny reason.

The model tweeted: “John went to Nigeria for a couple of days and I thought about going, purely to find Michael from 90 days, but… the enchilada has rendered me useless.”

Recall that Michael, a Nigerian man, amused the world when he began to feature in a reality show titled “90 Day Fiance”. He was engaged to a much older White woman named Angela and their love story, including Angela coming to Nigeria to meet her Yoruba in-laws, has made for an amusing TV show.

Well, Chrissy wants to come to Nigeria “purely” to find Michael.

See Photos Here:

Chrissy Teigan
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Disney set to drop ‘Fox’, rebranding its latest studios as 20th Century Studios

Published

on

By

Disney’s landmark purchase of 20th Century Fox last year is complete, and now the company is looking to phase out the “Fox” branding in its new assets: the 20th Century Fox film studio is being rebranded to just “20th Century Studios,” and Fox Searchlight Pictures is now “Searchlight Pictures,” according to a report from Variety.

The move away from the Fox brand isn’t entirely surprising, given that Fox Corporation the remaining piece of the original Fox brand still exists and runs things like Fox News, Fox Sports, and the Fox TV channel that weren’t sold to Disney.

Removing the “Fox” from the studios and film divisions that Disney does own will presumably make things in the entertainment world a little clearer. (The fact that Fox News, in particular, is a politically contentious brand that doesn’t gel with Disney’s politically neutral, family-friendly ethos may have also contributed to the name change.)

The new names will begin rolling out soon. According to Variety, Downhill Searchlight’s next film is already set to feature the updated logo alongside a “Searchlight Pictures Presents” label, while Call of the Wild (out on February 21st) will be the first to feature the new 20th Century Studios branding.

All that’s changing is the naming, though: Variety’s report reassuringly notes that the iconic 20th Century Fox opening and fanfare will still remain on 20th Century Studios films, albeit in a modified version that won’t have the word “Fox” in it anymore.

The company is still said to be deciding whether to change the names of the Fox TV production studios 20th Century Fox Television and Fox 21 Television Studios (which are less visible to consumers than the much more prominent film branding).

Continue Reading

Entertainment

The idea of domestic work is still thought of as something that women should do’ – Chimamanda Adichie

Published

on

Chimamanda Adichie says in many countries across the world, the idea of domestic work is still seen as something that women should do.

The award-winning author made this known during a conference in the Chilean capital Santiago. According to her, women may be making strides in the workplace and public life, but still bear the lion’s share of domestic work.

“The #MeToo movement in many parts of the world made it possible for women to start talking about things that women couldn’t talk about, so for me, that’s progress of sorts. Often, it feels as though it’s two steps forward and one step backward. We are talking about it but we haven’t quite found the solutions yet.

Chimamanda Adichie says in many countries across the world, the idea of domestic work is still seen as something that women should do. [Instagram/ChimamandaAdichie]

“The idea of domestic work, for example, who does it, is it something people should be paid for? In many countries across the world, it’s still thought of as something that women should do. Because of that, women are doing domestic work at home and also working outside the home. Women are now doubly burdened and so what can seem like equality really isn’t. In the future, we have to address that; otherwise, it will take women back even more,” she said.

Chimamanda Adichie remains one of the most vocal public figures in modern times who has never shied away from advancing and protecting the rights of women across the world. [Instagram/ChimamamdaAdichie]

Chimamanda Adichie remains one of the most vocal public figures in modern times who has never shied away from advancing and protecting the rights of women across the world. [Instagram/ChimamamdaAdichie]

Chimamanda Adichie remains one of the most vocal public figures in modern times who has never shied away from advancing and protecting the rights of women across the world. Times without number, she has blatantly or sometimes used some not so nice words to express her desires and aspirations for women.

“I’m not going to shut the f*ck up!” – Chimamanda Adichie on advocating for feminism

According to the author, regardless of race, age, gender, or nationality dismantling gender oppression through feminism is for everyone. [Instagram/ChimamandaAdichie]

The award-winning author made this known on Wednesday, November 20, 2019, while receiving an award at the ‘Equality Now.’ According to the author, regardless of race, age, gender, or nationality dismantling gender oppression through feminism is for everyone.

“I was a feminist long before I knew what the word meant. Not because I read books but because I observed the world around me and saw how women were treated. Sometimes it can feel very lonely trying to prove that sexism exists, that we haven’t achieved basic equality for women around the world. Tonight is an oomph that shows me that it truly matters. I’m going to remember this night when people tell me to shut up. I’m not going to shut the f*ck up!” she said.

Continue Reading

Connect

Get Content Tailored To You

Tonto Dikeh steps out to encourage Nigerians saying; “Stop talking about your past, start walking into the future.”

Advertisement

Facebook

Trending